Pembroke Dock once led the world in shipbuilding - it has been a sorry omission that we have not had a maritime museum here to tell the story. To right this wrong, the Society set up the Museum very recently in August 2015 aiming to give an insight into shipbuilding, not only in Hancock’s yard but all along the Cleddau, with its associated trades and occupations.
The setting is ideal: where better than a historic shipyard on Pembroke Dock’s waterfront with its own slipway and dry dock? Boasting a long history of shipbuilding, Peter Hancock & Sons took over the yard in 1921 from former owners J & W Francis. Many ships have been constructed here. Francis’ built 2 and 3 masted ships such as the Verbena. Hancocks began by building fishing smacks, Brixham trawler type but larger, and more recently the Hobb’s Point ferries – the Cleddau Queen in 1956 and the Cleddau King in 1962. The last ship to be built there was the Fastnet Rock, a coal carrier, in 1979. The yard is still popularly known as Hancock’s yard and many Pembroke Dock people served apprenticeships there.
The project has proved popular and successful, attracting donations which have greatly expanded the content of the Museum as well as photographs and memorabilia. The Museum is entirely dependent on good will as it has not received any funding at all, other than that the Society has raised through fundraising and donations. We welcome volunteers to man it.
The Museum is open to the public throughout the summer Monday to Saturday between 10am. to 4pm. until September 28th.
Admission is free but donations would be welcome.